Have any questions? Feel free to contact us:
+1 (416)-402-6888


PCCIC > Work


The Business Visitor category provides entry for foreign nationals (without a work permit) who engage in business or trade activities in Canada but will not enter the Canadian labour market. Such temporary residents who plan to enter the Canadian labour market may require a Temporary Work Permit. In addition, Business Visitors may still require a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA (electronic Travel Authorization) to enter Canada on a temporary basis.

Business Visitor

Business Visitors

There are a number of subdivisions under this category, but all business visitors must meet the following general criteria:

1. There must be no intent to enter the Canadian labour market (there will be no gainful employment in the country)
2. The worker’s activity in Canada must be international in scope (it is assumed that a business visitor will engage in cross-border activity of some sort)
3. For business visitors in Canada working for a foreign employer, the following criteria are assumed:
i) The primary source of the worker’s compensation is outside of Canada
ii) The principal place of employment is located outside of Canada
iii) The employer’s profits are accrued outside of Canada
iv) When travelling to Canada, a business visitors should be prepared to present immigration officials with documentation that attests to their desired status in Canada. This documentation will vary on a case-by-case basis. Often, items such as a letter of support from a parent company or letter of invitation from a Canadian company can help to bolster one’s likelihood of acceptance as a business visitor.

There are many exceptions to these regulations. We can help you navigate these complexities.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP)

Canadian post-secondary institutions graduates are eligible for a one-time post-graduation work permit. These open work permits grant work authorization to international students, allowing them to gain valuable Canadian work experience that may be used as part of a later application for Permanent Residency.

A work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months. Post-Graduation work permits must be obtained within a specific time-frame after graduation.

Work while Studying

Work While Studying

It is possible to work in Canada while studying, under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s work programs for students. Following are several categories which permits a student to work in Canada:

1. On campus without a work permit
2. Off campus with a work permit
3. In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is a part of the curriculum, with a work permit.
4. Spouses and common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration similar to study permit.

Upon graduation from a Canadian College or University, a student is allowed to apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, you may get work permit up to a maximum of three years.

Graduation and Canadian work experience earns a candidate extra points to qualify for Canadian Permanent Residence applications.

Is your Consultant Registered?

Ensure your chosen consultant is licensed to practice by the Canadian Goverment. Immigration consultants must be a member of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), Lawyers or notaries from a Canadian provincial or territorial law society, or the Chambre des notaires du Québec. Paralegals (Ontario only) must be members of the Law Society of Upper Canada. If they are not members in good standing, you should not use their services.